NATIONAL BOARD FOR TECHNICAL EDUCATION, KADUNA
THE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES OF NOVELTY POLYTECHNIC, KISHI, OYO STATE.
The National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) has received several petitions and complaints against the Novelty Polytechnic, Kishi which alleged that the Polytechnic is offering unapproved programmes and also operating illegal campuses existing either as outreach/study centres or satellite campuses. The Board in collaboration with the Department of State Services (DSS) carried out discreet investigations on the allegations. Findings of the investigations revealed that there is an act of outright violation of government policy on the Ban on Satellite Campuses and Outreach/ Study Centres by the Novelty Polytechnic, Kishi, Oyo State as well as a contravention of the Board’s Regulations on Offering Unapproved Programmes and Affiliations with other Institutions.
Consequent upon the above the Board has taken the following decisive actions which were communicated to the Institution:
- Sales of forms and admission into all unapproved programmes are to be stopped with immediate effect.
- All affiliations with Institutions or consulting firms to operate outreach/ study centres or satellite campuses are stopped without further delay.
- All new admissions for approved/accredited programs and quality assurance visitations to the Institution are suspended until there is compliance.
- Failure to comply with the above directives will lead to immediate withdrawal of the Institution’s operational license by the Board.
- The Board will continue to monitor compliance to these directives.
The Federal Government enacted Act 16 (Education National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) and Act 9 (Education National Minimum Standards and Establishment) Act mandates the Board to accredit academic programmes in all Technical and Vocational Education (TVE) Institutions.
The General public is hereby advised to note as follows:
- The above decisions on Novelty Polytechnic, Kishi and to avoid patronizing its illegal satellite campuses that have now been closed.
- Before admission forms of any Technical Institutions awarding National and Higher National Diploma certificates are obtained, it is paramount to visit the NBTE official website www.nbte.gov.ng in order to access the Directory of Accredited Programmes to confirm if it is recognized and its programmes are approved/accredited or not.
- One can visit any of the NBTE Zonal Offices spread across the six geo political zones in the country for confirmation of accreditation status of any TVET Institution in Nigeria.
- Students who graduated from unapproved Institutions and programmes cannot be mobilized for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).
- There is no career progression or academic advancement for holders of certificates of unaccredited programmes. Such certificates cannot be used for employment or upgrading and promotion in the civil service.
NBTE wishes to advise the general public not to patronize illegal institutions/unapproved programmes.
The Board assures Nigerians that it will not relent in its effort to ensure that any unapproved institution/programmes are stamped out of our Educational System.
Director, Inspectorate Department
For: EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
Dated 10th November, 2023.